Monday, March 20, 2006

Challenge 2 - pile of dragon teeth!

After reading the story I tried to render the dragon in a few ways. Instead of doing a straight up dragon (with limbs and such) I wanted to draw some wyrms. Above is the first attempt, with the beginnings of a scene.



Here are some other ideas. I was trying to make the mouth as large as possible so that the dragon could be swallowing Cadmus's pals whole. I should have included a soldier for scale or something... Anyways, the skullish one is sort of weird (a little too grimey for this story) but I like the one with the jackal/fox face. I think I rotated the snout wrong for that angle though and didn't bother fixing it. Onward to the spawn of the dragon's teeth!

Firstly I was thinking of doing some sort of clearly half dragon man as the dragon spawn but I wanted to take a break from things monstrous. After all, if these guys babysat for Cadmus they would probably have had an easier time looking more human like. Hopefully a fang or two and a mean haircut will be dragon enough. Here I also brought out my Gardner's Art of the Ages book from Art History to refer to some Roman-ish armor. I was looking mainly at a sculpture of Augustus from 20 B.C. His waist seems unresolved... maybe some sort of belt would help.

These scans look weirder than usual with the page tiling. Lame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Ooops... accidentally deleted the comment so here it is again.

I really like the first drawing where the dragon is part tree. That is unbelievably sweet. I prefer the other two dragon heads to the first one though. Also, good job of capturing a hardened semi-soulless warrior.

Excellent as always Petoria!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Thanks Sean! When I was doing the first dragon's head I ended up giving it the same shape construction as my evil spider's head (a point down pentagon, with a chin). I think I had too many cobwebs in the brain...

The second dragon's head (skullish one) reminded me of the new black dragons from DnD 3rd edition. They have a nasty emaciated skull face. I was thinking of horse skulls, but didn't do anything faithful reproductionwise.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home