Monday, March 20, 2006

Challenge no.3 The Jelly Fish and the Monkey

I thought I'd try something rather different for this challenge. This is a Japanese folktale called The Jelly Fish and the Monkey. It was translated by Yei Theodora Ozaki in 1903, but the actual myth predates that by a good deal.

Here's a link to the tale. I hope you guys don't mind reading something more comical this week.

I find a lot of Japanese myth to be particularly sweet, charming, and humorous even if at times brutaly violent. I thought this was a good representation of that feel. This particular story is in a similar vein as Rudyard Kipling's excellent Just so Stories.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

looks good Sean. I poked around on that website too and I think I'm going to check out The Ogre of Rashomon as well. Thanks for the resource!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home